St.Xaviers Forane Church, Karukutty
Archdiocese of Ernakulam, Angamaly
Karukutty.PO,
Ernakulam Dst, Pin : 683 576
Tel.: 0484 2612327
Email : vicar@karukuttyforanechurch.com
History

St. Xavier's Forane Church, Karukutty is located towards the north-east of the Archdiocese of Ernakulam-Angamaly, about 800 meters away from N.H. 47. The parish now consists of 1050 families in the south-central part of Karukutty Panchayath, covering an area of about 3 square kilometers. The village of Karukutty was a desolate area until 18th century. Discovering the fertility of the soil Christian farmers began to occupy and cultivate the land. Gradually more and more people came and settled in this land. It is believed that until 19th century it was under Angamaly parish. The faithful had to reach Angamaly Church for their spiritual needs.

Later on a small church was built at Karukutty. When spiritual needs of the people of the locality began to have been met here by the priests from Angamaly, more and more people began to settle down in and around Karukutty. The establishment of a small church at Karukutty gradually paved way also for the development of the land and progress in the life of the people.

It is told that Ouseph Lona Pynadath-Vattaparambil and Kunjuvareeth Njarackal-Puthanangadi went on foot to Varapuzha and met the Archbishop of Varapuzha to get permission to build a small church. With the permission and blessings of the Archbishop and with the whole-hearted co-operation of 64 catholic families, a small church (Kurisupally) was built in 1829 in the name of St. Francis Xavier. The Diocese of Ernakulam came into existence in 1896. Till then the Syrian Catholics were under the patronage of Archbishop of Varapuzha (Latin). The request for erection of Karukutty parish was favorably considered by the Archbishop of Varapuzha, and thus a parish priest was appointed by the Archbishop.

After about 30 years, say by about 1860, a bigger church was constructed as the number of Catholics increased. Later on that church too became inadequate to accommodate all the people. It was under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Valia Ouseph Pynadath a "Maundalam" (portico) was added to the existing church. 135 years later when Rev. Fr. Joseph Kavalippadan was the vicar, the present church was constructed. The "madhbaha" (Altar) and the doom of the old church were retained just behind the altar of the present church. The foundation stone for the church was blessed and laid by the then Auxiliary Bishop Mar Jacob Manathodath in 1992. On 5th May, 1995 His Eminence Cardinal Mar Antony Padiyara, the First Major Archbishop of the Syro Malabar Church and the Archbishop of Ernakulam-Angamaly consecrated the present church.



From the inception of the parish to date several parishes have been bifurcated and re-bifurcated from this parish. They are St. Antony’s Parish, Edakkunnu (in 1935), St. Mary’s Parish, (Carmelgiri) Moonnamparambu (in 1960), St. Joseph’s Parish, Besleham (in 1960), and Christ King Monastery Parish, Karukutty (in 1996)and St. George’s Parish, (Calvary) Munnoorpilly (in 1958). St. Thomas Parish, Ezhattumugham (in 1978), Mother Theres’a Church, Panthackal (in 2007), and St. Alphonsa’s Church, Attara (in 2007) were further bifurcated from Edakkunnu, and Holy Ghost Parish, Sehionpuram (in 1976) from Besleham.

The oldest spiritual records of the parishners in this church can be traced back to 1873. Rev. Fr. Korath Vadakumchery was vicar of this parish during 1873-1875. The first ever recorded baptism is of Paulo Mypan, s/o. Mr. Chakkunni and Mrs. Mariam Chakkunni on 11th Midhunam 1048 (could be about 25 June, 1873); the first ever recorded marriage is of Eliswa Thekkiniath, d/o. Mr. Chakku and Mrs. Mathiri Chakku, to Mr. Itteera Parayil, s/o. Mr. Vareeth and Mrs. Neithy Vareeth, of Akaparambu Parish on 17th "Vrischikam", 1049 (could be about 30th November, 1873); and the first ever recorded death was of Mr. Paulo Pallippadan on 3rd "Karkidakam", 1048 (could be about 18th July, 1873).